A few to ponder on this Saturday evening:
* The Patriots reportedly will franchise WR Wes Welker. Purely a means to an end. They’ll work out a long-term deal, but in the short-term, they take care of any drama surrounding whether he’ll be here in 2012. It also lets them move forward on other deals.
* Hey Dwight Howard, enjoy this weekend in Orlando. It’ll be the last time you’ll be in the spotlight while in a Magic uniform. Orlando will not let you walk away for nothing, so, yes, a trade is coming my friend.
* Can we please get rid of the “Team” competition at the NBA All-Star Weekend. The combo of a current NBA player, current WNBA player and a retired player just doesn’t do anything for me.
* Will the Bruins do something on NHL Trade Deadline Day Monday – YES! Will it be Rick Nash worthy – NO! But, the B’s will be better by day’s end.
* Congrats to the PC Friars, who won a pillow fight in Chicago Saturday over DePaul, 73-71 to end the school’s 22 game Big East road losing streak.
* I’m not a huge Bobby Valentine fan, but give the man some credit so far – he’s been detailed, opionated and open in his first few weeks down at Red Sox Spring Training.